Tuesday, September 30, 2014

#85: Justice League Mission Vision - Batman


Did you know that Batman can breathe in space? It's true! This figure proves it. Released over ten years ago, this Batman is from one of the Timm-verse Justice League tie in toy lines. Batman is sporting some bulky armor with a face shield. It's a shield that protects the front of his face, but doesn't cover his head. There's some mechanical wings hanging off the back, with a projectile that can be launched out of it. He's also carrying a bat-shaped shield.


The shield opens up to expose a lenticular image, which I'm guessing was the gimmick for all the Mission Vision figures. The image depicts Batman in this toy's armor, fighting Darkseid. In space. Since the shield doesn't cover his head, there's no way it's providing oxygen for him. Batman is breathing in space!


The alternate image is a more action packed shot from the same battle.


All the armor can be removed, leaving a standard JLU styled Batman figure. That can't stand up on its own. With the armor on, he can balance well enough, but without it, he just falls over. The hips don't have enough give in them to make him balance.

I can't take credit for discovering this hidden power of Batman. That honor goes to David Willis, the author of the webcomic Shortpacked!, who did a strip on the subject a few years ago. I've always kept that amusing fact in the back of my head, then at the toy show I went to last month I saw the Mission Vision Superman, which made me decide to get the space breathing Batman figure for myself. This is the kind of ridiculous I can appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails