Wednesday, May 30, 2012

#39: Transformers Prime - Starscream


Lately I've been haunting the toy aisles mostly looking for new Dark Knight Rises, Spider-Man, and GI Joe toys to appear. But yesterday the second wave of Transformers Prime voyagers showed up, which is something else I've also been looking forward to. I may have missed out on the Movie Masters Alfred figure, but this trip I was there at the right time. It is one of the small joys of toy collecting to find two figures at the same time that you expect will be hard to find.

Naturally, Starscream is one of the toys I've been looking forward to, as he is one of my favorite Decepticons. Robot mode is pretty great. It looks pretty accurate to the show's model, and is appropriately tall and lanky. Without the rest of the other voyager class toys from Prime to compare, I would guess that he is probably the tallest. So he may be too tall. But I can deal with him being too tall because it offsets how lightweight he is. There is an accessory included, which I have left out of the pictures because I think it looks bad. It's a big, bulky null cannon. When you press the lever on it, it folds out and lights up. It can plug into Starscream's arm or back in robot mode, or under his wing or right above the cockpit in altmode.  It doesn't look good in any of those positions. One of the cool things about the Transformers in the Prime cartoon is that when they need a weapon, they just transform their hand into it, so it looks sleek and built in, and not like a giant piece of added on junk like the toy version. Overall, Starscream is pretty cool in robot mode, with plenty of articulation. He can even bow forward for when he needs to suck up to Megatron. Oddly, the head has light piped eyes, but the eyes are painted over with red.


Starscream's altmode, some sort of jet, is definitely the less cool mode. Getting him between modes is kind of annoying when dealing with the shoulder/chest parts. The instructions aren't as clear as I would hope, so I had to kind of experiment and look at the picture on the box to figure out how to get it done. I'm mostly going to leave him in robot mode anyway, so it's not too big a deal.

1 comment:

  1. wow! that is one long-legged transformer...! almost equine...thanks for dropping by at VintageActionFigures.net !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails