Wednesday, April 14, 2010

#36: Star Wars comic pack Yuuzhan Vong and Kyle Katarn

So the other day I was at Target, and surprise surprise, the new wave of comic packs were hanging on the pegs. I don't recall if all of them were there, I wasn't paying that much attention since I already got those I was looking for. Another surprise is that this set was also on the pegs. I've seen its wave mates numerous times already, but never saw this one, and I was beginning to think I never would, with the coming demise of the comic packs.

Now, I'm not exactly the biggest Kyle Katarn fan. I played Dark Forces years ago, and it was a cool game, but it's not like you really got to look at him, since it was a first person shooter. That's about all my experience with his character. Really, you could make any random figure and tell me it was Kyle Katarn, and I would be willing to accept it. Fortunately he turned out as a good figure. He has some weirdo shoulder armor, but that's true to the comic, and it's nice to have a Jedi figure that's not wearing the standard Jedi robes.

The main attraction of this set for me was the Yuuzhan Vong warrior. Remember the YVH droid from yesterday? This is the creature it's supposed to look like. It's been a while since I read the New Jedi Order books, but I do recall the Yuuzhan Vong being described as skeletal at some times, and big at other times. So it probably depends on the individual Vong in question, as well as which caste they belong too. This is a warrior, and the figure's appearance is true to the included comic, so it works for me. The figure is really cool, it looks so different from any other Star Wars character. It's probably also the hugest Star Wars figure, as tall or taller than most Wookiees, and a lot bulkier. So far this is the only Vong figure to be made, so unless the Nom (NOM NOM NOM) Anor figure gets made, it will remain the only one. This pack is definitely worth picking up if you can find it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, congrats on finally getting this one, I think Kyle Katarn is my favorite Star Wars figure, bar none. That is pretty close to the way he dressed in the cutscenes in Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, so it is his iconic look, more or less, the color scheme is diferent, but the Vong invasion was 20 something years later, so I suppose I should account for the intervening years. Apparently, however, shoulder armor will always be in, far far away.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails