Wednesday, July 25, 2012

#59: Metroid: Other M - Samus


I pre-ordered Figma Samus months ago, and it finally arrived! This is my second Figma, after Big O's Dorothy. There haven't been a whole lot of toy options for Nintendo games other than Mario Kart, so as soon as I saw the announcement for a really cool looking Samus, I knew I'd have to get one. Metroid was one of the first games we got for the NES, and it has been one of my favorite series since. As one of the earliest female video game protagonists, Samus is an iconic badass. This figure is specifically based on the game Metroid: Other M, which I have not played. Fortunately, the design of her famous Varia suit is largely unchanged, so it's instantly recognizable as Samus.

As I mentioned, this is my second Figma, and it continues to impress. It's a great looking figure with very good articulation, a bunch of accessories, and a stand. It's probably good that these figures are so expensive and that the character choice tends towards anime characters I've never heard of, because I'd want more (there's a Link coming out in a few months that I have already pre-ordered).


Perhaps the coolest accessory that Samus comes with is herself: Samus in Morph Ball mode. Neat! If you've never played a Metroid game, Samus's suit has the ability to form a ball for easier travel in small spaces. Also pictured here is the stand, which it can plug onto.


There are two different blast effects which can plug into her arm cannon. I think they're similar enough that I would have preferred to have a launching missile instead of one of these.


Speaking of missiles, the tip of her cannon can be replaced with this pronged version, which is what the cannon looks like in missile launching mode. The blast effects can plug into this tip as well.


One of the fun things about Figma is the inclusion of interchangeable pieces like faces with different expressions and hands in various positions. Since Samus's face is covered by a helmet, she doesn't come with different expressions, and her suit only has one hand, so she gets a few extra left hands. She's got a fist, a fingers splayed hand, an open hand, a gripping hand, and a thumb's up hand.


You know what would have been a great accessory? A Metroid. Even a baby Metroid would have been cool. Oh well! Figma Samus is pretty damn cool, I'm glad we finally have a figure that does her justice.

"And the winner of the Best Space Bounty Hunter title is..."

4 comments:

  1. Are you going to get Link as well?
    I just received my figma Samus and I am tempted to preorder Link as well haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet I'm getting Link! I pre-ordered him like a month ago.

      Delete
  2. I seriously enjoyed what you had to say about this. Keep going because you absolutely bring a new voice,new color to this topic. AWESOME. I just ordered these consoles at PIJ! I’m excited! I’m going to have these in week! http://bit.ly/METROIDOtherM

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails