Friday, December 19, 2014

#104: The New Batman Adventures - Batman


For me, the Platonic ideal of Batman will always be Kevin Conroy's animated Batman. When DC Collectibles announced that they would be making animated style Batman figures, I was sold on at least a Batman figure. Even though this is the version of the costume from New Batman Adventures, I went for it. Naturally, right after I got this figure they announced an Animated Series version. So I'll probably get that too. But this Batman is very cool. It looks just like the cartoon, faithfully recreating the Bruce Timm top-heavy style. Unlike previous toys made from the cartoons, this line has so much more articulation. The shoulders, elbows, and wrists are all swivel-hinge joints, while the knees and ankles are hinged, the waist and shins get swivels, and the neck is on a ball.


The coolest feature of the Batman figure is that it includes two capes. In the top picture is the cape that drapes over the front of the shoulders, somewhat restricting arm movement. For standing around poses, it's my favored option, as most figures don't have a cape that hangs that way. The other cape hangs behind the shoulders and is flared out a bit, giving an impression of movement. Batman's other accessories include a few extra pairs of hands, ranging from fists, to slightly open hands, to more open hands, and one that is molded holding Batman's grapnel line launcher. There is also a loose grapnel line launcher, and a batarang. Also include is a stand with turnarounds of the animation model for Batman printed on the base. A stand is pretty useful for such a small footed Batman. This isn't a line I'm going to get every release from, but I will definitely be getting more.

4 comments:

  1. I've read of some QC issues - have you experienced any breakage etc?

    I am going to cherry pick this line, but am really looking forward to Harley Quinn and Killer Croc (with Baby Doll.) and Batgirl, and Roxy Rocket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to write about it in my post, but I DID have QC issues! The first figure I received was broken in the package. The foot was rattling around inside it, which I noticed before I even opened it. So I exchanged it and the second figure was fine.

      Delete
  2. Honestly, the main thing that bothers me are the hip pins, but I think that's just because they're on the front.

    Still, I'm trying to decide between the Animated version or Mezco's Dark Knight figure. Either one will probably be a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think from the second series on, they don't have the hip pins visible like that. The Mezco figure looks pretty rad too!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails