Friday, April 29, 2011

#44: DC Universe Classics vs Masters of the Universe Classics - Aquaman (minus Mer-Man)

A little while ago, I decided that since I was about halfway there, I should complete the classic JLA lineup of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, and of course Aquaman. Naturally by that point Aquaman's wave had long since been gone from stores, so it seemed the only choice was the very expensive secondary market, or the gaudily painted two pack with Black Manta (not a fan of Aquaman sporting a gold shirt). So I decided to wait. Finally, they announced a DCUC vs MOTUC two pack of Aquaman with a blue Mer-Man. I didn't have any interest in any Mer-Man, much less a blue one. Fortunately, Phillip Reed of Battlegrip.com was in the opposite position of wanting the Mer-Man but not the Aquaman. I bought the two pack and sent Mer-Man off to him, so it's cool that we were both able to get the figure we wanted without getting stuck with one we didn't.

So anyway, this version of Aquaman is basically the same as the original wave 2 version. The paint apps on his trident are different, and his shirt does seem to be of a more glossy finish. Either way works for me, so I don't mind that it's not exactly the same as the first release. The points on the trident are a bent a bit from the packaging, unfortunately. It's always a nice surprise when none of the joints are broken or stuck on a DCUC figure, and I'm happy to report that this Aquaman is one of those figures that is in good shape. When Aquaman was first released, we weren't yet jaded by Mattel's constant reuse of sculpts for figures. I don't think Aquaman's scaled shirt has much potential for re-use, so it is cool that is an original sculpt. Overall, I think it's one of the better DCUC figures, so I'm glad I was able to pick it up without paying ridiculous secondary market prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails