Thursday, May 13, 2010

#44: DC Universe Classics vs Masters of the Universe Classics Luthor and Skeletor

Previously I was able to get the Superman and He-Man two pack from Toys R US. Of course, you can't have a hero without a villain, so I wanted to get Luthor and Skeletor as well. Again, thanks to James I was able to get my hands on this Toys R Us exclusive DCUC/MOTUC set.

I've always dug the power armor look for Lex Luthor, since I had the Super Powers Luthor figure way back when, and that's what he was wearing. This Luthor figure is a re-release of the DC Superheroes version that came out a few ago. Since he wasn't Superman, he was pretty hard to find, and I only saw him on the shelf once. It's a cool figure, and I have been wanting to get my hands on one, so I'm glad this set came out. If it hadn't there's an upcoming Luthor/Supergirl two pack that I was considering, although I have no interest in a Supergirl figure. The first release of this figure had a gun that a piece of kryptonite fit into, and this version instead has four differently colored pieces of kryptonite: the standard green, red, blue, and gold.

Skeletor here is pretty great. The comic book style coloring definitely works in its favor here. See, the regular Skeletor release has the green shadows or whatever on the face, just as the original toy did. As a kid, that always bothered me because it didn't match the cartoon, which I held at the highest level of He-Canon. So as far as I'm concerned, this is the best version of the MOTUC Skeletor figure. Unlike his nemesis He-Man, he can actually stay standing, which is another huge mark in his favor. I only wish he had his ram's head staff, but he didn't have it in the comic, so of course it's not included here. I can always borrow that from my 200X Skeletor.

Of the two DCUC/MOTUC two packs, I would say that this one is better for character selection alone, although both are worth picking up if you're trying to avoid the ordeal of ordering through Mattycollector. I only hope that Mattel will release more MOTUC figures to retail in the future because these figures are cool and deserve to be more readily available.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails