Friday, October 9, 2009

#111: DC Universe Classics Parademon

While it is likely that I have greater knowledge of the DC universe than the average person on the street, I'm not exactly a walking encyclopedia of DC information. So when I saw preview pictures for the wave the Parademon is a part of, my first reaction was to wonder who this Parademon was, shortly followed by the desire to get one solely because it looks so cool. Of course, we can thank Jack Kirby for the design, which I think the figure captures well, especially with the face. Unlike 95% of DCUC figures out there, Parademon isn't reusing some other figure's body.

Parademon is part of the eighth wave, which supposedly hit stores a few months ago. Until I saw this guy in the new Target, I had not seen any figures from that wave anywhere. In fact, this is the only figure from that wave that I have set my eyes on. Mattel is definitely capable of making good product, as this line can attest. It's sculpted by the famous Four Horsemen, and is respectful of its source material. Unfortunately, Mattel has terrible distribution problems, as well as quality control issues (there are some horror stories out there about these figures), and even PR problems (Gleek, anyone?). There's a reason that Hasbro rules the boys' toys market.

Looks like I went off on a tangent! As I was saying, Parademon is really cool. If he were cheaper and easier to find, he'd make a great army builder.

Parademon is the first DCUC figure I bought that isn't directly associated with Batman. My other DCUC figures are Batman, Harley Quinn, The Riddler, and Killer Moth (why didn't I get the Penguin!?). So far I have not bought more than one figure from a wave, so I have random build a figure pieces that don't connect to anything. Giganta's left arm is joining that collection.

3 comments:

  1. "Until I saw this guy in the new Target, I had not seen any figures from that wave anywhere. In fact, this is the only figure from that wave that I have set my eyes on."

    I saw Gentleman Ghost and Dr. Fate when I went today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have seen Killer Moth from the previous waves... The Parademon looks nice, though I thought he had wings for some reason???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chunky, he doesn't have wings, but there are wing-like projections that stick out of his back. Due to the angle of this picture, you can't see them, they stick out more backwards than up.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails